Sunday, May 29, 2011

What is Success?

Success comes in many different forms. Some measure your success by the things and job you have. That can be a difficult position for quite a few people since they live paycheck to paycheck and can’t buy the big expensive things.

Heck, having a house or car that is paid off, even if they aren’t in the best of shape is the dream everyone has. If you are at this point or very close to it, then you are more successful in my eyes than those who are tens to hundreds of thousands in debt.

That is because you managed your time and money very well. You didn’t live outside or to far over your means, and now you are the dream many of us chase every day.

Success does not have to come as material items. Keeping up with the Jones’ or Kardashians’ doesn’t have to be a form of success.

Sure you can be the most beautiful woman or most handsome man in the world with everything one could possibly want, but does that kind of success make you truly happy? Probably not.

Some people I know gauge their success by completing tasks in their lives. One task would be writing about this week’s topic......figured out what it is yet? Completing it and putting it on this blog is one thing I have accomplished fully today. SUCCESS!

For me having those things that make my life more comfortable is good, but it does not do my any good if I did not have anyone to share and enjoy them with. To me, that would be unsuccessful.

Having accomplished a lot in my life that others told me I could or would never do, I consider that a good thing. There are those who consider writing as a freelancer not a successful career or job. One person even said I do nothing all day long.

If that is the case, then by George, I enjoy getting paid for it. SUCCESS!

Of course any of you who write for money or even for enjoyment knows the kinds of accomplishment this can bring. It can bring peace of mind. For some, that peace of mind is one thing they find as a way to release inhibitions they couldn’t do within their mainstream, out of the house, daily grind of a job. Having an outlet for this type of thing can be the most successful thing anyone can do.

WHY?

Because having a good mental health and a place to let your creative self be seen by someone who doesn’t have a clue who you are can be the most successful thing. It allows all of us not to be judged on something that helps create a healthier us. That in itself is a type of success.

So, before you define whether or not someone is successful, consider how happy they are with what they have and who they are. You may find an ah-ha moment into the secrets of their success.

20 comments:

  1. You and I took a very similar approach to this week's topic. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think being able to share milestones and various types of success with another is a huge motivation to keep working our way up. In my opinion, it is not a success in itself though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great write and agree with Beth both of you took the same view. :) hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome. I enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful take on this weeks topic!! I agree that success doesn't necessarily equate to monetary things or things in general...it is where we are at in our lives with what we have and if we are happy then, by some measure we must be happy!! Cheers, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, we can only really determine our own success, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely! Living in a way that does not equate stress and brings happiness is "Success!"

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Heck, having a house or car that is paid off, even if they aren’t in the best of shape is the dream everyone has"
    AMEN SISTAH!! Owe man nothing but love..yup my motto in life. I think once we attain "debt free" we are truly walking heaven on earth..success in its truest form!! LOVE your POST

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think, in a different way, you and I conveyed the same theme this week as well. Success is relative. It must be relative.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thought-provoking post. I could totally relate. Pursuing material things that make you go into debt doesn't mean you're successful in my opinion. Being happy and grateful with what you have is much more of my idea of success.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always say that you're not going to be worried about your "stuff" when you're lying on your death bed. I've always been a girl who thinks keeping up with my family and friends is what makes me successful.

    Great post!

    -Kate
    www.jadelafemme.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharing success sounds wonderful. I wish you much success (shared of course).

    Theresa
    writingcreatively.org

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mental well being is a great indicator of success. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Achieving happiness is the ultimate success you're right.
    Pam
    A Pirate Looks Past Sixty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happiness is the ultimate goal!! To me, that equals success as well. Although it is nice to be caught up with the bills too! :D Most of the time, I have to be happy with being happy. Blessings to you! Lovely post!

    Kathy
    http://www.thetruckerswife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Success to me is a state of mind. If you think that you have done well in something, then you have been successful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you get paid for your writing, you are highly successful! I keep waiting. On a side note, one magazine owes me $100. Where is it?

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2011/05/acrostic-success_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I fully relate to your last sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love having someone to share it with and finding love in this world is a success (and lucky).

    ReplyDelete